Thursday, July 16, 2009

Night

Wow...... night here is quite different than Boston.

It's just been one of those nights that I can't dream of sleeping knowing that my days left in Akron are few.

So many times in Boston in the middle of the night I have longed to just roam outside to get away from all of the walls that seemed to be holding me in. But in Boston that would be unbelievably stupid.

The house is quiet and I just wandered outside and collapsed on the grass under a sky full of stars. I began to contemplate how many things I took for granted growing up that probably the vast majority of the kids I worked with while in City Year never experienced....everything from picking peas straight out of the field...to swimming in a pond...to passing a groundhog on the side of the road to being able to flop on a bed of grass and stare into a completely black night at a sky full of stars.

It was completely silent...the only sounds were the crickets chirping and a car may have gone by every 20 minutes or so. We don't even have street lights on our road so literally it was completely black. However in the midst of the darkness I did not have the slightest fear of being shot at or attacked or mugged :) My biggest fear was the mosquitos that were eating me alive!


I probably could have lay there for awhile but I decided to get up and wander a little farther away from the house...down by my igloo (which looks a lot friendlier during the day) but as I was stumbling along, realizing that I couldn't see anything I heard a rustling noise in the field and it took me all of 2 seconds for it to sink into my brain that I might be safe from the chaos of the city but there is nothing stopping a wild animal from running out of that dark field and devouring me! I took off running for the house :)

The chances that that rustling noise came from any animal bigger than a rabbit are slim to none but the dark can do strange things to your mind....

But as for Boston...not feeling all that ready to go back but come Monday morning I am heading back whether I am ready or not....

No comments:

Post a Comment