A friend just sent me a book called Victory over Darkness by Neil Anderson. I haven't got past chapter one yet but so far it is about realizing who you are in Christ and recognizing that what you look like, what your job is, and who you know are not the the things that define who you are.
"The only identity equation that works in God's kingdom is you plus Christ equals wholenss and meaning." ~Neil Anderson
This made me think of a journal entry I wrote back in March right after a Lion King night of fun with community group (gosh you guys are inspiring even when we are doing nothing but sitting and watching a Disney movie!)
Sometimes my mind never turns off of "Reflect upon life" mode....but here it is:
"Well obviously Jesus both you and I know the plot of the movie, but let's reiterate some of it. Little lion's life is going well but he witnesses his father's death. He is told by his evil uncle to run away because his family would never understand. He runs to hid from his problems and grows up with a warthog and a merekat under Hakuna Matata - living in denial of his past life. A wise old baboon comes and knocks him on the head and reminds him of who he was created to be by pointing him back to his father."
"Let's stop there for a second. The confused little lion is me. The father's death can be seen as my fears of not living up to the expectations of society. The evil uncle is Satan in the form of an eating disorder. Hakuna Matata, in the movie is a good thing, but for me it is the starvation itself, the numbing of life's problems."
"Nala appears out of nowhere which bring back memories for Simba about the life he once had. But although his current life is a life of hiding, it is a life he has come to know and feel safe in. He doesn't want to go back to his past life because that means facing a lot of icky stuff. However, the feelings of guilt that have been suppressed for so long emerge their ugly heads and Simba just doesn't know what to do. Simba and I are both distressed and kind of mad at our father in heaven. In the words of Simba: 'You said you would always be there for me!...but you're not...and it's all because of me. It's all my fault.' My heart goes out to Simba because I don't think his father's death is no more his fault that this eating disorder is mine (although I rarely can acknowledge that). However, he still has the ability to make choices and so do I."
"...But then you appear Jesus in the form of that wise old baboon. You have many times before but this time I really need a knock on the head because I am completely lost inside myself."
Rafiki: You see, He lives in you.
Mufasa: Simba, you have forgotten me.
Simba: No, how could I?
Mufasa: You have forgotten who you are, therefore have forgotten me. Look inside yourself Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life.
Simba: How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be.
Mufasa: Remember who you are. You are my son. Remember who you are.
"That was basically my library conversation of last Wednesday. Simba at this point heads back to fight for his life back in a grusesome battle with the evil uncle. At times Scar has Simba shaken as he reminds Simba of the guilt and the shame but Simba works up the courage to stand his ground. 'This is my kingdom. If I don't fight for it, who will?'
"How easily Simba is deceived to thinking that he is at fault and that he is unimportant to the kingdom. There is a fight though...and in the end healing rain comes pouring down on the fire ridden country."
I bet you didn't realize that this movie had that much to do with spirituality :)
I need some desperate prayers....all I want is Jesus but I seem to be running to everything but him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment